Collegium Juris is located in a building dating back to 1917 and an extension from 1938. The house was built as flats for nurses at the former Blegdam Hospital. In recent years the building has been used as classrooms and some working places belonging to the Panum Institute, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen.
Before Collegium Juris was able to bid the first residents welcome in the autumn of 2012 the building underwent a complete renovation. It was one of Denmark’s most acclaimed and award-winning architectural firms, Lundgaard & Tranberg Architects, which won the architectural competition for the hall. Lundgaard & Tranberg Architects are known for their innovative and original architecture. Other projects of Lundgaard & Tranberg include Tietgenkollegiet on Amager as well as the recently finished Axel Towers in Copenhagen’s city centre.
The complete renovation of Collegium Juris is based on the architectural qualities of the original building. This means that the existing walkway areas with light from gable windows, and living rooms with terraces and balconies have been preserved or restored to their original form. Recycling which is also sustainable, environmentally sound, and economically sensible.